Around the year A.D. 740, already established and with a name, it was known as Tweoneaum; an 11th century charter records that in A.D. 814 it was called Bituinaeum; the Doomesday Book refers to it as Tveninge; by 1777 it was known as Twinning but during the next two centuries it finally settled on the present form, Twyning. This is a contraction of the old English folk name derived from the original Bituinaeum, and means ‘the folk living in the land between the rivers Severn and Avon’.
The original nucleus of the present community was an isolated mission lying in Gloucestershire as a possession of Winchcombe Abbey. The 1793 ordnance map records ‘Abbots Court’ or farm and ‘Chad Well’ both in the vicinity of Church End, Twyning, confirming the existence of the first community whose church was (and still is) dedicated to St Mary Magdalene. The pre-Reformation building was much restored in 1868 but conserves its perpendicular font, Norman Arch and south doorways; the tower too is perpendicular, and there is a 1575 alabaster tomb.
With a proper sense of the practical the civic, commercial and agricultural growth of the village was developed around Twyning Green, taking advantage of a fordable point in the Avon, near the confluence of a tributary, the River Fleet. The “Deeds and papers of Miss Hopton” recorded, in 1663, the existence of a means of transport across the Avon, with the description “a ferry called Twyning’s Fleet”. Exactly when it was first established is difficult to trace, however it is still functioning in season, but only as a punt ferry.
A cursory study of some place names on the ordnance map suggests a wide-spread parish, roughly pear-shaped, within its river boundaries. At the top lies Stratford Bridge (Stretforde in 1182), “the ford on the Roman road”. This refers to the old road from Worcester to Tewkesbury across Ripple Brook”; it was also a salt-way of some importance. Lower down are more historic but familiar names, such as Puckrup, “the goblin-haunted farmstead”, the very same Puck of Shakespeare’s “Midsummer Nights Dream” and of Kipling’s “Puck of Pook’s Hill”.